Do you remember “if, then” statements in science class. We used them in our hypothesis in an experiment. If you do this, then this will happen. There are a number of those statements in the Bible. One often quoted is found in II Chronicles 7:14, “If my people…then will I…” But it gives just a portion of what God was saying.
It is helpful to look at the “book ends” of a verse to understand the context and give a more complete picture. So starting in II Chronicles 6, King Solomon has just completed building the temple for God. He blesses it and prays. In his prayer he repeats the phrase (in The Message) Listen from your home in heaven and when you hear, forgive. v21. I love the repetition.
Now looking at the entire sentence of II Chronicles 7:13 and 14, it says, If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
God goes on to say in verses 19 and 20, But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot Israel from my land, which I have given them, and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name.
And because it seems our nation has, for all intents and purposes, done just that, we are reaping exactly what God decreed. So, as we declare revival for our nation, let’s pray for it to start with our own families. Pray to break generational curses and declare generational blessings. My sisterfriend Pastor Stephanie Rolle teaches a class on how to do just that. Below are a few of her main points to incorporate into your prayer life:
- Acknowledge and repent of personal sins without excuse (1 John 1:9)
- Acknowledge and confess iniquities of my forefathers (Lev 26:39; Jer 14:20; Neh 9:2)
- Separate yourself from all sin behavior (Admit it and Quit it) (1 Peter 2:11)
- Take authority over iniquity’s curse, in Jesus’ name and command it to stop.
- Command all demonic activity to cease and cancel future attacks.
- Spiritually apply the blood of Jesus over your mind & heart and over your children’s mind & heart (Exodus 12:12) Pardoning Power; Purifying Power; Protecting Power
- Reverse the curse, rejoice and confess generational blessings (Deut 7:9)
Let us join the psalmist in praying, “Restore us again, God our Savior, and put away your displeasure toward us. Will you be angry with us forever? Will you prolong your anger through all generations? Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? Show us your unfailing love, Lord, and grant us your salvation.” Psalm 85:4-7
Hallelujah, thine the glory. Revive us again. Selah…
~ ~ ~
Your Turn: Join us in praying for Revival for our Nation…for our cities…for our family and for ourselves. ~ Andrea